Certifying Sustainable Wines Since 2008
Many consumers want to buy sustainable wines but are not sure how to find them. SIP Certified shows that you use practices that protect the people and planet so your customers know that their wine was made with care.
- Review your whole operation in one place.
- Learn the latest science-based practices.
- Find new technology and improve your efficiency.
- Teach your team members about sustainability.
- Easily communicate your sustainability with your customers.
We know your customers are looking for wines labeled as “sustainable”. In a recent systematic review of 30 studies, consumers reported a higher preference for ecolabel and social responsibility labels compared to nutrition labels. Achieving SIP Certified gives you third-party verification that your vineyard, winery, or wine has adopted and implemented stringent sustainable winemaking and wine growing standards.
“By putting our sustainability beliefs into practice, we have the ability to educate the consumer on why sustainability should be a decision-maker in their purchases. SIP Certified makes it easy for us to share this message as they are not only a trusted and credible program, they offer a variety of valuable resources for both the consumers and businesses alike” - Fintan Du Fresne, Chamisal Vineyards
“Being Certified Sustainable in the SIP program has really helped us tell the story of the Hope Family Vineyard, especially with distributors and customers who want to learn more about our vineyard practices” - Austin Hope, Hope Family Wines
Certify your vineyard, winery, and wines today:
- Create an account
- Document your practices
- Share your sustainability with your customers
SIP Certified is a rigorous sustainable vineyard, winery, and wine certification with strict, non-negotiable standards based on science and expert input, independent verification, transparency, and absence of conflict of interest. Certification addresses the 3 P’s of Sustainability – People, Planet, Prosperity – ensuring that both natural and human resources are protected. The rules, called Standards, require a measurable, holistic set of practices addressing habitat, water, energy, soil, recycling, air quality, packaging, pest management, social equity, and business management. Participants document dozens of requirements and implement sustainable practices. Practices are verified through independent records and on-site inspections and receive final approval from an independent advisory board.
SIP Certified evolved from the award-winning self-assessment (Positive Points System) developed by Vineyard Team which helped growers evaluate their sustainable practices on every level, from habitat to water, soil to human resources. After four years of intensive review by viticulture experts and experienced growers, SIP Certified launched its pilot program in 2008 with 3,700 acres of vines between Monterey and Santa Barbara counties. Today, there are over 42,000 vineyard acres in California and Michigan, five wineries, and more than 49 million bottles of wine that have been SIP Certified. Consumers around the world can now find a wide array of sustainably produced wines to fit their needs, budgets, and stylistic preferences.
- Social Responsibility - Competitive wages, medical insurance, training, and education.
- Water Management - Reduced/recycled water in the vineyards and winery.
- Safe Pest Management - Introduce beneficial insects, attract raptors, and plant enriching cover crops to keep vineyards healthy.
- Energy Efficiency - Alternative fuels and energy sources like solar and wind; minimal tractor usage; enhanced insulation in winery.
- Habitat - Create wildlife corridors and preserve open space.
- Business - Ethical practices; treat employees and community with care and respect.
- Always Evolving - Evolve as new science, technology, and research becomes available.
SIP Certified is proud to stand with other environmental leaders working to preserve our natural and human resources.
- 2021 John Muir Conservation Award
- 2020 Carl F. Hertz Distinguished Service in Agriculture Award (Kris Beal)
- 2020 Wine Business Monthly Wine Industry Leader (Kris Beal)
- 2020 Wine's Most Inspiring People (Beth Vukmanic)
- 2019 Green Personality of the Year (Kris Beal)
- 2017 Green Initiative of the Year Commendation
- 2017 Environmental Leader Project Awards
- 2016 Association of Environmental Professionals Certificate of Achievement
- 2015 Department of Pesticide Regulation Integrated Pest Management Innovator Award
- 2015 International Green Industry Hall of Fame
- 2015 John Muir Association Non-Profit Conservation Award